I’m switching it up a bit today and sharing some random thoughts for this lovely Thursday along with many other bloggers linking up with Amanda 🙂
I’m excited it’s Thursday for two reasons. First it’s almost Friday. Second it’s my rest day. My body is exhausted this week so today was much needed.
White coyote passed out like I want to be today!
2. We are finally getting some cooler temperatures and a little bit of rain! Woo hoo! Not only do we need it because we are in a severe drought. But there have been some really horrible forest fires recently that are causing quite a bit of destruction and smoke. It was so bad the other day we couldn’t even go outside to play! Thank goodness for rain!
3. I’m sad to say this but, The Love Nugget seems to be growing out of his naps 🙁 It’s a major bummer for a few reasons. One is that he still seems to need them as his behavior is drastically different on days he gets a nap. Two that is my down time to get dinner prepped, work done, or the house clean. lately I’ve still been making him go and at least rest which usually consist of him jumping around in his bed for an hour. At least he’s somewhat resting. The major bad part is that as soon as we get in the car to head to The Studio around 4:30 he passes right out…
4. I’ve been teaching the Kids Ninja Boot Camp at The Studio for a few weeks now. It’s been interesting trying to get back into teacher mode. Even though there are only a handful of kids there are a few that are “those” kids that like to push your buttons and not follow rules. Plus the age range is a 4 year old, a 3 1/2 year old (The Love Nugget) then kids up to 8. Yeah, just a little bit of an age gap. It’s fun but I’m having to go way back and pull some classroom management tricks out from my teaching days. I’m also struggling to come up with fun, kids physical activity games as that’s one area I didn’t have to do too often when teaching. Good thing I like challenges!
5. Yesterday’s long run was not much fun. I had planned to go early but it was still dark when I got up at 5:45. I hate running in the dark so I had to wait until 6:15 to start. Waiting is no good for me. Then it was windy, smoky, my legs ached, my back ached, my hair was bugging me, and I just couldn’t get into it. I trudged on but cut my hopeful 11 mile run down to 9 miles. Which in all honesty was completely fine with me 🙂 I’ve still got a few weeks left until the Nike Women’s Half so I’m not too worried about it.
6. One positive about a long run yesterday was the refueling that happened after. First a green sweet potato chocolate smoothie, then these;
I picked up a few plantains last weekend from Whole Foods and they ripened pretty quickly. Too ripe to make much else than pancakes!
- 2 ripe plantains
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- Place plantains, protein powder, eggs and baking soda in the blender and mix until combined.
- Heat coconut oil or butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Pour in pancake batter and cook for a few minutes per side.
- Serve hot topped with grass-fed butter and 100% maple syrup.
Definitely hit the spot and made those 9 miles a little more worth it 🙂
That’s it for today. I’m off to… rest. Okay well not really rest. I’ve got cleaning to do, laundry to fold, and work to be done. Those three hours while The Love Nugget is at school goes by so fast!
- Do you ever long for a rest day?
- What’s your favorite post workout meal?
- Do you eat plantains? How do you prepare them?