Remember when I posted the picture of all those figs my mom brought me?
They were so good! BUT, as much as we enjoyed them fresh there was only so many we could eat. They go bad pretty quickly so you have to use them up fast. We ate them in salads, with bacon wrapped around them, froze some for smoothies (recipe coming soon), made fruit roll-ups, and this super easy Fig and Chia Seed Jam.
When I say easy I mean EASY! Plus it doesn’t include any pectin or refined sugar. Making it a much healthier option than store bought or other jams.
I love using figs to make jam because they have a natural gelatin type constancy to them when pureed or mashed. When you add the chia seeds they thicken it up enough to spread on sandwiches, toast or muffins!
Don’t worry, that recipe is coming soon 🙂
In the meantime, make the jam while figs are in season!
- 4 cups pureed figs
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- In a large saucepan, heat purred figs, lemon juice and honey until bubbly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds.
- Scoop into jars, seal then store in the fridge for up to two weeks or freezer for several months.
So simple but so good. This is amazing on the above picture Vanilla Fig Muffins, over brie then roasted, on sandwiches or mixed into plain non-fat yogurt 🙂
- Do you make homemade jam?
- Have you tried using chia seeds to make jam?
- Are you a fan of figs or no?