I went through a phase in college where graham crackers were a staple in my cupboard. I was a busy, poor college student and they worked for a quick breakfast with peanut butter, snack on the go, or after dinner treat. No, not the healthiest but I’m sure there was worse I could have been living off of.
As I got older (and smarter) I phased out my graham cracker obsession. It became a treat I would enjoy from time to time but now that I don’t eat gluten the only time I purchase any at all is for The Love Nugget.
Even then I have a hard time because of all the added ingredients they throw in there. Sure, there are some healthier brands on the market. Annie’s Homegrown Organic is always my go-to choice but usually when I go to reach for a box I have one constant thought in the back of my mind. I can make these at home.
So not only did I make them at home, I made them so that I could enjoy them too and relive some memories of my poor, starving college student days 🙂
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 c blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (or butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, cream, coconut oil, vanilla, coconut sugar, honey and egg white.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Roll out a large disc between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut desired size squares then carefully transfer using a spatula to prepared baking sheet.
- Refrigerate on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Then bake for 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- *These crackers are a softer, chewier graham cracker. If you want them crisper I suggest using a little more butter and baking a little longer.
The hard thing for me has been sharing them with The Love Nugget 🙂