In the past I used to start by day by adding coffee creamer to my cup of joe. You know, the really yummy ones like Creme Brulee, Cinnamon Bun, White Chocolate Raspberry. Mmm… they were good! I always knew it wasn’t all that healthy but I figured since it was just a little bit and it was non-dairy it wasn’t doing much harm. Then I began to learn a little more about the creamy coffee addition I used daily.
Did you know,
- Even though it’s called non-dairy it can actually contain casein (a milk protein) in the sugar?
- To give it that creamy texture without the actual “cream” oils like palm kernel oil are added.
- Sugar, sodium and corn syrup are also added to give it extra flavoring lost when the milk is taken out.
- Some contain trans fat the kind that increases your bad cholesterol as well as your risk for heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
- Sodium aluminosilicate, an ingredient added to keep powdered creamer from caking together, can actually ignite into flames!
- They can pack on quite a bit of extra calories. On average, one tbsp. contains 20 calories and let’s be honest, who only uses one tbsp.?
Now I love coffee but have a hard time drinking it black. I’ve tried some of the flavored ones and they are okay but I like a rich dark espresso roast that to me needs just a little something added. Since giving up the coffee creamer, I’ve learned a few other great options to add to my coffee which are actually just as enjoyable!
1. Canned Light Coconut Milk –
I purchase these cans from Trader Joe’s 5-6 at a time. They are only $1.00, are BPA free and it’s really yummy! This is by far my favorite thing to add to my coffee as it gives it a nice creamy sweetness without the added sugar. Yes it does have slightly more calories than say that of boxed coconut milk but it’s a healthy fat that’s good for you 🙂
2. Vanilla Almond Milk –
This is a great sweetened alternative to sugary creamer. I sweeten this homemade version with a few dates and add in a little vanilla and cinnamon for extra flavor. It’s lighter than the coconut milk but just as yummy!
3. Organic Grass Fed half and half or heavy cream –
I don’t use these ones as much but when we have guest’s I’ll purchase a container and it lasts for quite a while. You only have to use a tiny bit and they naturally sweetens your coffee a little while giving it a nice creamy taste.
4. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, or Cocoa Powder –
I add cinnamon at least twice a week and cocoa is also a favorite addition in my daily cup. If I’m out ordering coffee I almost always sprinkle a little nutmeg on top for some extra zing!
5. Coconut oil –
I know, this one sounds strange but you’d be amazed at what the smallest amount of coconut oil can do to your coffee. Plus, the added health benefits of coconut oil are endless so you’re actually doing your body good! I typically only add maybe a 1/4 tsp. into a cup of coffee when I’m not using coconut milk. Usually if I am drinking it black or using almond milk instead. It’s pretty good!
6. Flavored or plain Stevia –
There are a ton of different flavored stevia’s on the market these days so the options for flavoring your foods are endless! During the holiday season I used my peppermint stevia, coconut milk and cocoa powder for a peppermint mocha coffee everyday!
Anyone of these you use is going to be much better for you in the long run than the flavored creamer’s your purchasing at the store. AND… they taste pretty good too!
Want more of My Healthy Happy Home?
Follow me on,
and on Bloglovin