Hope everyone had a marvelous St. Patrick’s Day weekend!
We had a great one filled with visiting my Grandpa Saturday, dinner with friends Saturday evening, a great workout at the gym Sunday morning then an afternoon hanging out around the house.
Unfortunately yesterday I started to feel a little under the weather and was hoping maybe I was suffering from some allergies. No luck there! I was awake most of last night with a pretty bad sore throat and woke up this morning feeling sick 🙁 Seriously I have had the worst luck this year with getting sick! I take my vitamins, wash my hands and am pretty careful with the Love Nugget as far as washing and sanitizing his hands as well. I’m wondering if I’m just pushing myself in too many directions lately and wearing my body out. The Love Nugget keeps me very busy and I’ve been trying to plan a baby shower, his birthday party, catch up on blogging, and keep up with household chores. I’d say in the past few months other than going to the gym for an hour or two, I haven’t had any “me” time to really relax and decompress. Maybe my body is telling me I need a break?
Anyway, on to more fun topics. With Monday comes MIMM hosted again by the beautiful Katie at Healthy Diva Life 🙂
I’ve got a few marvelous things for you today the first of which is the announcement of the Artisana Superfood Giveaway!
Congrats Lauren! Randon.org chose you as the lucky winner! Send me your information when you have a chance 🙂
As I mentioned I’ve got a few giveaways of some favorite products of mine and today I’ll be sharing another one with you! BUT…. you’ll have to keep reading to find out what it is 🙂
First, I recently learned some information about the boxed Almond and Coconut milk I enjoy in my morning coffee and smoothies. Did you know that boxed dairy alternatives such as these contain harmful, disturbing ingredients? For example, Vitamin A Palmitate which is synthetic version of Vitamin A, is found in almost all non-dairy carton milk. Basically it’s a chemical version of the real thing which can lead to imbalances in your body. Also found in most cartons of milk is Carrageenan, a substance derived from seaweed that is very similar to plastic. In studies conducted on rats, scientists have found some links to gastrointestinal cancers and inflammation. It is also the same ingredient used to de-ice frozen airplanes. Hmmm…. That doesn’t really sound like something I want to put in my body.
So I started searching for milks that didn’t contain these ingredients. I managed to find one at Whole Foods but decided I would give making my own Almond Milk a try. Guess what? It was really easy and really good!
- 6-7 Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Raw Almonds
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 4-5 cups water
- Place in a bowl and cover with filtered water.
- Place the dates in a separate bowl and do the same.
- Allow to soak over night.
- After soaking, place almonds, dates, vanilla and cinnamon into a blender with the water they were soaked in. Add in another cup of water or more depending on if you'd like your end results to be a thick creamer consistency or more milk like. If you want it more milk like add in more water.
- Then, pour a little bit of the milk at a time through a fine mesh strainer.
- After most of the liquid has seeped through, dump the pulp into a cheese cloth.
- Squeeze out as much of the milk as possible.
- Continue this process with the remaining almond milk mixture.
- Enjoy in a warm cup of coffee, in a smoothie or by itself!
I’m working on a cracker recipe using the leftover almond pulp. I feel so bad just tossing it and my first batch came out pretty tasty just need to perfect it a little 🙂
Okay now onto my marvelous giveaway for today! Awhile back I had the pleasure to sample and review Lily’s Sweets Chocolate Bars. You can read my review here but I’ve become obsessed with them since then. They are sweetened with Stevia and delicious! The Dark Chocolate Coconut is one of my favorite bars with the Dark Chocolate coming in a close second. The wonderful folks at Lily’s sent me a few bars to send to one of my readers!
One My Healthy Happy Home reader will receive three of Lily’s delicious bars. An Original Dark Chocolate, A Crispy Rice Dark Chocolate, and an Almond Dark Chocolate
- Comment below with what your favorite flavor dark chocolate is.
That’s it! You have until Friday at 8:00 P.M. Pacific time to enter 🙂
- Have you made your own Almond or other form of milk before?
- Have you tried Lily’s Chocolates?