I’m excited to be back for another fun What I ate Wednesday! I’ve got some great recipes for you plus an awesome giveaway!
Before I get to that though, I wanted to thank Jenn for hosting another week of WIAW. So fun to check out everyone’s eats!
Now, onto my eats. In case you missed it, the hubby and I are going through a 30 day Paleo challenge right now. You can read all about it here but basically we just wanted to give it a try to see if it really makes a difference in the way we feel. So, my eats have been a little different. Not much, but there are some adjustments for sure!
Yesterday, I decided to give sweet eggs a try. I’ve been seeing all these recipes and posts about “no oat” oatmeal all over the blog world but wasn’t sure I’d like it. I’d never know unless I gave it a try so I did.
Guess what, I liked it!
I didn’t use a recipe, I just scrambled 1 egg, 1 egg white about 1 tbsp. of coconut milk, some mashed banana, spinach, mashed sweet potatoes I had in the fridge then topped it all with a spoonful of almond butter. When I make them again I’ll make sure to measure and share the recipe because they were delicious!
After breakfast, we headed off to the gym for boot camp. It was awesome to be back! When we came home, the Love Nugget and I shared some of my Homemade Roasted Almond Coconut Butter on apples.
I also had one of these,
- 3/4 cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the first seven ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- If the mixture seems to dry, add a little more coconut milk.
- Coat mini muffin tins with olive oil cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Scoop mixture into each muffin tin and pack down well.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tins before removing and enjoying!
Yum! They were a little crumbly, but very moist and flavorful.
Lunch was left overs from last night dinner which I promised I’d share with you. It was a good one!
- 1 Medium Butternut Squash
- 1 Diced Shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 can of Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Place squash on face up on a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool then scoop out of the skin and set aside.
- In a saucepan, het 1 tbsp. of coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped shallots and garlic. Sautee until softened then remove from heat.
- In a blender, add 1/2 the butternut squash, half the broth, half the coconut milk and half the onion mixture. Blend until smooth, pour into saucepan then repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bring soup to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with chopped walnuts and dried, unsweetened cherries if desired.
After lunch, we went to The Fresh Market and Trader Joes to pick up a few things. The hubby was needing more meat which I didn’t plan ahead for so went on a hunt for meat. While at The Fresh Market we found these giant apples.
Seriously it was almost as big as his head and he has a big one!
Since I didn’t need much at TJ’s, I let The Love Nugget push his own shopping cart.
(Sorry, horrible iphone photo. He was just going too fast!)
He loved it and was cruising around saying, “beep, beep!”
When we came home we both wanted a little snack so I had avocado wrapped inside two pieces of nitrate free turkey breast. I’m not a huge lunch meat fan so it was just okay… Ayden would have snacked all afternoon if I let him! Hungry boy lately!
Dinner was a new one but a good one! We were given a bunch of pistachios at Christmas from The Hubby’s mom so I wanted to try out something that incorporated pistachios. So I coated some organic chicken in egg then chopped pistachios mixed with a little almond flour and cooked them in coconut oil.
I thought it was going to be a recipe fail since the pistachios looked burnt but it was actually really good! I enjoyed a big helping of sautéed zucchini, kale and mushrooms on the side. The Hubby hates mushrooms and kale so he just had zucchini. His loss!
A little while later the hubby made us a little snack to have while watching Off Their Rockers. Have you seen that show? It’s pretty funny!
Apples, with almond butter and cinnamon. Yum!
I was going to do a giveaway today but since this post was so long I’ll do it tomorrow. So make sure to check back then!
Oh and check out my post on Fitmixer today for basics of Green Smoothies as well as two tasty recipes!
- Have you tried “no oat” oatmeal?
- Do you prefer almond butter or peanut butter?